A Blog about Everything

Saturday, January 03, 2009

New Year's fitness goals

Photo of me at the beginning of a triathlon last summer.
Well, not exactly, but my goal for this year is to improve my performance from "painfully slow" to "sorta slow". To help me with this goal, I received a heart rate monitor as a Christmas gift. It beeps at me when I am below or above my target range for heart rate. It calculates a target range based on my age. In the past two days, it has beeped a lot. (Note to self: do NOT take this gadget to airport for any reason). I knew my fitness level needed improvement when my heart rate soared 30 beats per minute above my resting rate just from putting on a hooded sweatshirt. I had not even taken a single running step yet.

This is an exercise in self-discipline and self-improvement. Running is the quickest way to improve fitness, but does not come naturally to me. In the winter, it's too cold and I would rather be in the gym lifting weights. If there is snow, I need to be out cross-country skiing. Spring is a good time to bring out the in-line skates. In the summer, it's too hot and I would rather be riding my bike. In the fall, I would rather squeeze in one last kayaking session or bike ride. I can't figure out why the running portion of triathlons are so difficult for me.

Today is day 3 of the new, improved version of me. It's kind of cold and windy outside. Maybe it's time to head back to the gym and lift weights while dawdling between sets, listening to the MP3 player.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Happy New Year!

    Stay in the gym. Or come and ski/board with me!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home