A Blog about Everything

Friday, September 26, 2008

What I learned from a PBS special on baboon stress

As I was aimlessly clicking through the TV channels two nights ago, I happened upon an intersting PBS show titled "Stress: Portrait of a Killer". A study has been done on primate stress responses, in particular baboons and British government workers. It seems that those of lower social rank have more stress hormones in their blood. People who feel they have little control of their work situations and baboons that were at the bottom of the pecking order experienced elevated blood pressure and accelerated cardiovascular disease. The result that interested me the most was that this type of chronic stress also resulted in increased abdominal fat depositon. Now this would explain my lack of results from doing abdominal exercises. It's not the pizza, ice cream, ect that I've consumed over the years. It's all from job stress.

The link to the web page for the show is:http://www.pbs.org/stress

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Yay! I have an excuse now, too! It's not due to booze, after all! whew. Oh, wait. I work for the state. Never mind...

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2:20 AM  

  • What work Stress. We don't have work stress. Nope, not in a million years should we have stress. Everything is fine and dandy and the Demi-God can do no wrong.:-P~~~~~

    By Blogger Lorias, at 2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home