A Blog about Everything

Monday, June 08, 2009

unfortunately

Unfortunately, it seems that due to my sloth and inattention, I have lost the readers I did have. So now this will be my own journal. Well, it seems like my blogging is in shambles.

Unfortunately, it seems like the biggest shambles is my career. The first thing I should have done differently to facilitate success in the world of aquatic biology was to have accepted a Y chromosome instead of an X. Picking out taller ancestors would have helped, too.

Then I should have started on career path this earlier in life, so I wouldn't have entered the job market in The Middle Ages. The medieval attitude of hiring managers that if you're over 40, you're almost too old to function. You're "over-qualified". (Of course, if you're female and under 40, they don't want you because you might leave to have kids! ) They can't come right out and say all that of course. "We'll let you know" they say. If you're lucky, you get a letter that starts out "Dear Applicant". Usually, you never hear anything at all.

Finally, someone hired me. Everything was great, for awhile. Then, fast forward a few years....

So now, not only am I over forty, I'm over fifty and teetering on the brink of unemployment. Why? Maybe it's the sorry state of the American economy. Maybe it's my sloth and inattention again.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I'm still here!!! I just for the first time in a year or so actually didn't turn on the computer yesterday.

    My vote is definitely the state of the economy. Have they actually said anything to you, or are they just threatening everyone in general?

    By Blogger Laurie, at 10:21 PM  

  • Can I comment?

    By Blogger Janet & Paul, at 7:39 PM  

  • I guess I need to figure out how to have a better user name. C'est la vie.

    By Blogger Janet & Paul, at 7:40 PM  

  • Actually, this is an extremely small company, so there is only one other full-time employee and he seems to have enough work, at least for now. On the other hand, I am running out of projects and my boss has been expressing his general dissatisfacton with my lack of success in generating sales.

    By Blogger Kia, at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home