A Blog about Everything

Monday, July 07, 2008

The Demise of Relationships

Or as I could title it: WTF did I do wrong this time?

This is NOT about the demise of romantic relationships...that is its own kind of hell. No, I'm talking about the end of other relationships: specifcally, friendships. Some friendships are for a lifetime. I'm learning as I get older to greatly value those friendships. Most friendships, though, have an end date to them. If both parties agree that it's over, then, all is well. The usual case is that one person phases-out the other without explanation. This may be an attempt to spare feelings, but it can lead to bewilderment and wondering: what did I do wrong? Case in point: I had a friend who worked with me at Moo U after I graduated. We bonded while collecting aquatic bugs from noxious field sites in Indianapolis and doing water chemistry tests with noxious chemicals. We talked about anything and everything. Then she got another job in another state but the friendship continued. I even visited her for three days and we had a great time (I thought) biking, talking, roller blading, ect. The email correspondence suddenly dropped off a few months later. I tried emailing at least 3 more times. No bounce-backs, but no answers either. It's been over a year and I'm still wondering what happened.

This rant was inspired by a boss/friend who today made a passing comment (again) that perhaps I should find another job or line of work. He's the one who says he's my "friend"'; I consider him to be my "boss". Perhaps there are special rules for the demise of these types of hybrid relationships.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Come out and visit here any time you like. Winter would be a good time - I never have anybody to ski with :-(

    I promise to keep e-mailing afterwards. Really!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 9:34 PM  

  • Sounds like a good idea! Will the fires be calmed down by then?

    By Blogger Kia, at 10:20 PM  

  • Either that, or we'll have WAY more ski slopes, what with no trees left and all...

    It was smokier than Bill has seen it in 50 years today.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 11:00 PM  

  • Would you stop worrying about what BM says! He never means what he says in the way he says it. He;s just weird contrary to his point of view that it is we that are in left field.

    By Blogger Lorias, at 2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home