A Blog about Everything

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Quarry Scuba Diving




Diving in an Indiana quarry may never be portrayed on a Discovery Channel special, but it can be pretty fun. This quarry has an average depth of about 20 feet, with some spots of about 25 to 30 feet deep. My husband and I went on Sunday. We didn't take the underwater camera because we thought there would be nothing interesting of which to take pictures, and besides we had taken pictures of everything last time we were there. That is why these pix are marked 2005, but the scenery is the same. We should have taken the camera this time, because we finally spotted the elusive paddlefish for which this quarry is famous, plus a huge flathead catfish, numerous largemouth bass, and various schools of sunfish. The catfish gets larger everytime I tell the story. He's at least 5 feet long by now.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • The lone paddlefish? :-(
    How big is he?

    Wasn't that an enormous dead flathead that we found on the Wabash while looking for mussels? Or was that a blue?

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1:36 AM  

  • The paddlefish swam away before I could do a size estimate. I wanted to follow, but my dive buddy turned the other way.

    I cant' quite remember the dead catfish along the Wabash....maybe I'm having delayed decompression sickness from the dive. Or a senior moment.

    By Blogger Kia, at 7:14 AM  

  • Great picture!

    By Blogger Jeff, at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home