A Blog about Everything

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We're all different but all the same

There's one aspect about me that makes me a minority. Only about 10% of the population have this tendency. You probably wouldn't notice just to look at me, but after a while, my mannerisms would give it away. When I was a kid, my parents thought this tendency was something quite bad and tried to "convert" me to the majority. I tried for awhile to pretend, but finally realized I just had to be the person I was born to be. I can understand their concern, because the world is not set up for people like me. In their youth, people with this tendency were considered to be quite abnormal. Fortunately, society is now more accepting and accomadating. Still, our English language reflects the view that people like me are not as good as those in the majority.

I'm left-handed... .what did you think I was talking about???
My hope is that some day, being gay or straight will be as much a non-issue as being left-handed is today. Like I told a gay co-worker once who was "coming out" to me: Relationships are relationships. It doesn't matter the genders of those involved, the issues are pretty much the same.

1 Comments:

  • Hahahaha! Thank you for putting me back in a good mood. The !@#$^&% home internet wasn't working AGAIN and I only just got it going.

    I'm sure glad I'm not a left handed, gay atheist. Boy, would THAT be a pain...

    By Blogger Laurie, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home