A Blog about Everything

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Yellowstone Park

Alternative title: I shoulda taken an elective course in Geology.

My lack of knowledge in geology became apparent during a recent visit to Yellowstone National Park. The entire park seems to be volcanic. Hydrogen sulfide odors fill the air. Geysers spew, mud pots bubble, and hot springs boil. Do I know the definition of a fumarole? No. This may not even be spelled correctly.


Bubbling mud pot.




Warning signs tell you to stay away from the geologically active areas.




Old Faithful is right on schedule (plus or minus 10 minutes).


Thermophilic bacteria living in a hot spring. Finally, something this bio-nerd can understand.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Cool!!! I think the entire park sits on a supervolcano. I have to go sometime. David and Pete went during the winter when it was cheaper. The bears are probably hibernating then, too...

    Do they actually boil boy scouts there?

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1:38 AM  

  • I didn't see any Boy Scouts being boiled or otherwise harmed. However, I did see a couple (who should have been old enough to know better) go into the restricted area and stand over a small geyser opening. They were fortunate that it didn't erupt at that moment.

    By Blogger Kia, at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home