A Blog about Everything

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Today's reason to be depressed

Anyone paying attention at all to the news will never lack ample reasons to be depressed. Wars, homicide, natural disasters, environmental degradation,...the list goes on and on. But this morning's news yielded a unexpected reason. It seems that the earth is in danger of being destroyed by a black hole if an experiment in Switzerland does not go as planned. The Europan Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) will put on-line the Large Hadron Collider, the most powerful atom-smasher ever built. The plan is to collide and shatter protons, thus yielding information about anti-matter and conditions that existed an instant after the Big Bang. Critics say this will create a micro black hole that will that will eventually consume the planet. Opponents to the project have filed suit in the US District Court and the European Court of Human Rights. Because the project starts tomorrow, I'm not sure how successful they will be trusting the legal system to terminate it.

Do I still have to go the dentist tomorrow?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • I went to the dentist today for the first time in two years. They want to sonically and mechanically deep clean below the gumline and then laser cauterize. Ow. All because I have a bit of gum disease... They did this last time I went, and when they suggested it again today, I asked them if they ever wonder why people don't want to come back.

    I'm with you. Maybe I won't have to go back on Thursday if the Earth is swallowed by a black hole. There is always a bright side.

    Here are reasons 1010-1019 to be depressed...I like the Pulverized by impact with blunt instrument one myself.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 10:58 PM  

  • Well, I think you'll have to go to the denist. I just read Lifescience (I think) that rebuttled (sp) the blackhole idea. it seems that if a blackhole is at all created it will be too small and unstable. It will collapase pretty much as soon as it is created and before it can swallow any mass. Darn it just when I hoped it swallow up a certain co-worker. :-)

    By Blogger Lorias, at 4:54 PM  

  • Laurie and Lori-
    The dentist's office was open for business as usual and I showed up. The hygenist had not even heard about the potential black hole.

    By Blogger Kia, at 6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home